Can someone please give me Scott's position on gay marriage? A gay friend of mine just sent me an e-mail pleading with me and the other recipients NOT to vote for Scott Brown due to his "anti gay-marriage" position. I am planning on voting for Scott either way, but would like to find something to rebut this e-mail.

Anyone????

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent points. There is no reason, regardless of where or who the question came from, that we can not politely respond/agree/disagree to the post. This is a topic of concern with some independent voters in Massachusetts and I see now reason why it can't be discussed here.

Ben S. said:
Not sure why it is unreasonable to respond to questions. Does it matter who posts them? Unless we are simply here to congratulate ourselves for how conservative we are, then we should be willing to politely, and concisely lay out the position of our candidate. I would say that the reasons Mark cited are EXACTLY why I would vote for Mr. Brown if I could (being from Maine, all I can do is lend support). Torture? Not pretty but necessary in some circumstances. Gay Marriage? Not if I can help it. Global Warming? I think we in the NE can testify that it is most certainly NOT REAL in the liberal sense of the term. Ask FL. Citrus farmers if the "Warming" has helped their crops. Let's not be afraid of addressing "trolls" if they appear. If you don't have the time, energy or inclination then don't but do not disparage those who would like to take a whack at it. :-) Go Brown! (try not to push any reporters down, turns out that is not good press)
Frankly, regardless of his public position there's not much being done by either party regarding the issue. Generally speaking gay rights is an issue Dems like to flag around verbally for milage with the gay vote but, in fact, there's little in terms of positive substance given. Tell your friend he might consider these points; Obama's official position is that marriage exists between a man and a woman and he is on record saying so. After a showing of gay demonstraters showed up in DC he indicated he would be making changes they'd like to see but not until after the elections, wink, wink. Well, I think he's getting to be pretty famous for lip service with little delivery. Let's not forget Clinton's big consolation prize to gays in the form of "don't ask don't tell" which caused more trouble than if he'd done nothing. Essentially, it's liberal judges legislating from the bench that have made the most progress. Sometimes one has to consider the issues beyond the one that is most important to them and look at the totality of the package. Gay marriage is an important issue to many, but the issues of personal autonomy, economy, and national security are more important at this particular point in time. JMO not meant to be confontational.
WOW Well said. Best answer I have seen so far. Thanks

Jay said:
Frankly, regardless of his public position there's not much being done by either party regarding the issue. Generally speaking gay rights is an issue Dems like to flag around verbally for milage with the gay vote but, in fact, there's little in terms of positive substance given. Tell your friend he might consider these points; Obama's official position is that marriage exists between a man and a woman and he is on record saying so. After a showing of gay demonstraters showed up in DC he indicated he would be making changes they'd like to see but not until after the elections, wink, wink. Well, I think he's getting to be pretty famous for lip service with little delivery. Let's not forget Clinton's big consolation prize to gays in the form of "don't ask don't tell" which caused more trouble than if he'd done nothing. Essentially, it's liberal judges legislating from the bench that have made the most progress. Sometimes one has to consider the issues beyond the one that is most important to them and look at the totality of the package. Gay marriage is an important issue to many, but the issues of personal autonomy, economy, and national security are more important at this particular point in time. JMO not meant to be confontational.
Elaine,
I don't know if you are a Coakley plant or not? And I'm not Scott Brown nor do I speak for him. But I will try to articulate my opinion which I think falls in line with Scott's. He nor I believe the number one nor top ten priority of either candidate for Senate should be a "Social Crusader." Scott believes in strong state and Constitutional rights. With that I am deducing I repeat deducing he may have supported the 48th amendment and supported the hundred of thousands registered state voters who signed a petition to put the issue on the ballot. Allot pro gay marriage supporters define that as "anti gay."

Personally I would probably vote in favor of gay marriage but as a person who swore to uphold and defend the Constitution I think the voters should have the right to have on the ballot.

But like I said Scott has never claimed to be a Social Crusader and knows the terrorist nor the economy cares what your race, orientation or religious background is. People from all socioeconomic statuses were killed on 9-11 and are still threatened. And all the social issues in the world become mute if you are dead.
Are you familiar with the online group, The GayPatriot? The GayPatriot is an "independent, political and opinion-based Weblog focusing on gay conservative issues, themes, culture and ideas." They strongly support Scott Brown, and they have a lot of good articles about him. I suggest you check them out.

TheGayPatroit will give you all the arguments you need. For instance, they have an article on how the gay left has smeared Scott Brown. Among other points, this article says:

"For gay Democrats, what has your unquestioning loyalty to the Democratic Party brought? More than three years after Democrats gained control of both chambers of Congress, and more than a year after a Democrat captured the White House, gay Democrats have almost nothing to show for their fealty to their party. “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” remains in place, the employment non-discrimination bill hasn’t been passed, neither has the domestic partner benefits bill, and instead of a repeal of DOMA you have a White House that has defended DOMA in court — going as far as to compare same-sex marriage to pedophilia and incest."

"If you care about stopping the expansion of discriminatory government-run healthcare, if you want to stop the growth and influence of the federal government in every aspect of our lives, if you believe that we should confront the spread of radical anti-gay Islam, then Scott Brown, while not perfect, is a Republican who deserves your support.

http://www.gaypatriot.net/2010/01/14/gay-left-smears-gop-senate-hop...
This issue probably wouldn't make most peoples top 20 list! The most important issues for Americans are:

Economy (massive gov't out of control spending)
Health Insurance "reform" (real reform, not the scam going thru congress)
Terrorism
Phil, I agree with you that most Americans are not primarily concerned with gay issues. Even most gay Americans are probably not primarily concerned with gay issues. And I also think that most people, gay or straight, would agree with you that the Economy, Health Insurance "reform," and Terrorism are among the most important issues facing all of us.

Among gays and lesbians, however, the issue is of some importance... and it is even of great importance to many. Gerard is a gay American, and so the issue is important to him. The issue is of importance to his friends also - if they are gay. The issue is important to me because I have gay family members and gay friends. Most people do have gay family members and gay friends, and for that reason, many of us have come to have a deep concern for any discrimination they experience.

The gay left is mudslinging at Scott, and gay Republicans (there aren't many) are trying to stand up to them. I love the fact that Gay Republicans are pointing out that the Republican Party takes a very strong stand against radical Islam. (Homosexuality is not viewed favorably by many religions. Yet, only in Islamic countries can sexual orientation earn a person a death sentence.)

Phil said:
This issue probably wouldn't make most peoples top 20 list! The most important issues for Americans are:

Terrorism
I agree. Even though I am gay I feel there are more immediate issues that need to be addressed.

M. J. H. said:
Phil, I agree with you that most Americans are not primarily concerned with gay issues. Even most gay Americans are probably not primarily concerned with gay issues. And I also think that most people, gay or straight, would agree with you that the Economy, Health Insurance "reform," and Terrorism are among the most important issues facing all of us.

Among gays and lesbians, however, the issue is of some importance... and it is even of great importance to many. Gerard is a gay American, and so the issue is important to him. The issue is of importance to his friends also - if they are gay. The issue is important to me because I have gay family members and gay friends. Most people do have gay family members and gay friends, and for that reason, many of us have come to have a deep concern for any discrimination they experience.

The gay left is mudslinging at Scott, and gay Republicans (there aren't many) are trying to stand up to them. I love the fact that Gay Republicans are pointing out that the Republican Party takes a very strong stand against radical Islam. (Homosexuality is not viewed favorably by many religions. Yet, only in Islamic countries can sexual orientation earn a person a death sentence.)

Phil said:

Terrorism
Right on, Jane. Let the lefties expend their energy being mean-spirited. Thinking people don't have time for that blather. We have a more important mission. Go Scott!!!
I hate to break the bad news to you Mark but Scott is right on point on "global warming"...it's a fraud...another elite slight of hand to create a global government so they can tax us for breathing.

Mark C. Nemeskal said:
I've actually met both Scott Brown and Martha Coakley. They're both nice, as you would expect. Brown was indeed very cordial, even knowing that I didn't agree with him on politics.

He may well be personally decent: A JAG, National Guardsman and good father. But his views are neither decent nor prudent. To wit:

a.) He has defended torture, using the Orwellian code words "enhanced interrogation techniques." This is not decent.
b.) He has a tortured explanation for why he would not support covering 30 million new people with health care. I submit that this displays a lack of compassion.
c.) His view on gay marriage is frankly cowardly. That's not decent. Supporting Tom's and others' right to marry is decent.

d.) He denies global warming is real. That is very definitely not prudent.

Down the line, on almost every issue, he's a continuation of the last 8 years of rule under President Bush. I respectfully submit that that is definitely not prudent.

Thanks for reading this far, if you have ...

Well.... anybody care to comment? I am getting hammered by my gay friends.
He believes that Traditional Marriage is between a Man and a Woman, but that individual states should have the right to make laws that support what their own citizens want.

Your gay friend should respect the fact that while in his personal life Scott may not agree with his lifestyle, he DOES agree with the state's right to choose to decide for themselves without federal influence on what they should or should not be able to do.

Its all about rights after all isn't it?
Mark,
Why are you posting on this site if you are not a fan of Scott's views?
Are you bored, argumentative, contrary, looking for attention?
What is your reason for being here?

Ken Owens said:
I hate to break the bad news to you Mark but Scott is right on point on "global warming"...it's a fraud...another elite slight of hand to create a global government so they can tax us for breathing.

Mark C. Nemeskal said:
I've actually met both Scott Brown and Martha Coakley. They're both nice, as you would expect. Brown was indeed very cordial, even knowing that I didn't agree with him on politics.

He may well be personally decent: A JAG, National Guardsman and good father. But his views are neither decent nor prudent. To wit:

a.) He has defended torture, using the Orwellian code words "enhanced interrogation techniques." This is not decent.
b.) He has a tortured explanation for why he would not support covering 30 million new people with health care. I submit that this displays a lack of compassion.
c.) His view on gay marriage is frankly cowardly. That's not decent. Supporting Tom's and others' right to marry is decent.

d.) He denies global warming is real. That is very definitely not prudent.

Down the line, on almost every issue, he's a continuation of the last 8 years of rule under President Bush. I respectfully submit that that is definitely not prudent.

Thanks for reading this far, if you have ...

Well.... anybody care to comment? I am getting hammered by my gay friends.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service